What are my visitation rights as a grandparent? How do I obtain grandparent visitation?

If the child has two fit parents that are married and wish to prevent you from seeing or having a relationship with your grandchild, you do not have a right to override the wishes of the parents. However, if the child’s parents have obtained a dissolution of marriage or a legal separation or the child isor has been the subject of a custody case (allocation of parental responsibilities case), then a grandparent or great grandparent has standing to file a petition for grandparent visitation C.R.S. § 19-1-117.  Additionally, if the child has been placed into the legal custody of someone other than a parent or the child’s parent has died, a grandparent or great grandparent can petition the court for grandparent visitation under C.R.S. § 19-1-117. The court will then hold a hearing and conduct an analysis to determine whether the grandparent visitation is in the best interests of the child.

If you are interested in speaking to one of the attorneys at Smith & Shellenberger, LLC, regarding grandparent visitation rights, please contact us at (303) 255-3588.